Tuesday 14 August 2012

The Island Bench

 The kitchen bench is almost completed. I say that because the bench top is not what I wanted and not what My Beloved wanted. So it is still a work in progress BUT it is now at the right height and we are just happy about that. I also say that because we used an old bench top as a 'that'll do' until we agree decide. He wants tiles, I want wood.

Our gas stove is opposite the sink with the Fridge placed in the 'perfect design triangle' that anyone who has ever planned a kitchen knows, makes it easy to go from fridge to sink to stove or any other variation with the least amount of steps. Just in case you NEED to know what type of triangle, it is an isosceles triangle. (OK so I just wanted to use isosceles in a sentence)

My mother was visiting the day we 'marked out' where the island bench would go. Naturally she had to share her opinion ( and I don't say that with any eye rolls or anything) the problem was her opinion was the same as My Beloveds and I was really tired and did not have the energy to argue with BOTH of them about why where they thought the bench should go was too damn close to the sink. As a result they misinterpreted that as a 'go ahead'.

My mothers argument was/is a valid one... IF only one person was in the kitchen working on the meals of the day, as it is in her house. But in OUR house there is never just ONE person working in the kitchen. In the mornings there is sometimes SIX people in the kitchen, we get our kids to make their own lunches ( the bigger ones help the younger ones or My Beloved or myself do) and weekends are just plain chaos, so there is a LOT of traffic backwards and forwards.

We used to have a L shaped kitchen with HUGE bench space about 5 metres along one wall (minus the sink space of course) and another four metres with nothing but space. Now however we have a more galley kitchen with only four metres (minus the sink) and 2 in the Island bench. With only a metre and a half between the two... NOT a lot of space for two people to move around, let alone SIX. 

But, in an effort to not seem as though I am complaining, as our kitchen, dining and lounge rooms are all open plan it does not look small... so that's something I guess. ;) It looks much better than it did and the island really adds that homey feel that you can only get from kids sitting doing homework or as was the case tonight a puzzle and arguing whilst dinner is cooking. I can honestly say that is the best way to cook dinner, well that is unless someone else does it for you...

Now to pick the colour we are staining the stools with, as you may have picked up on already it is RARE indeed for My Beloved and I to actually agree on what we want to do to/ with anything. I was going to go for a bright coloured enamel paint that would really stand out against the terracotta tiles the orange and chocolate brown walls, he wanted Maple wood stain instead... Boooooooooooooooooring! ;)

 I sanded three stools (hand sanded I might add * pats self on back*) and I stained one rosewood. My Beloved hated it and surprisingly so did I, so guess what I am doing tomorrow or the next day? Yep, picking out a bright coloured enamel paint.  I am thinking Orange... oh and looking at wood for the top. 

Mwahahahahaha ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment, don't be shy! Just be nice... I have feelings you know! ;)