Wednesday 14 November 2012

At What Age Should A Child Be Responsible For Their Room?

Because I have always been a glutton for punishment I have always expected certain things from the kids and been pretty cruisey on others. I only have two hard and fast rules, they are Bed Time is 8.30, unless your very little or over the age of 14 then it is 10.30- you do not come out of your room for fear of death after those times unless you have slept a good 7 hours (more preferably).That and do what I ask you to do when I ask you to do it. Cleaning bedrooms has always been in the latter rule book. I may not ask for three days because the room does not need it or I may ask several times in one day.

Lately however it seems that between Mr Cheeky and the girls' room there has been no habit of picking up after themselves, not a very good one at any rate. So I wondered to myself when I cleaned Mr Cheeky's room today Is it unreasonable to expect a three year old to keep their room clean? I have always tended to think awwwww they are still so cute and 'wittle', but I am the only one and making a rod for my own back (of this, I am aware).

The few I have asked this question to all seem to believe TWO years old is an appropriate age to be responsible for their own room. It isn't considered child labour! Who would have thunk it! I have also never been one for the bigger kids dealing with the babies in the house, though getting a drink or sandwich for toddlers has been acceptable whilst I have dealt with the babies demands,even then I felt like an evil witch, though lately I have appreciated and even asked Biggest Miss and The Man Child to play with Littlest Miss each afternoon whilst I cook dinner or finish off what ever job it is I MUST get done. So expecting my three year old to pick his crap up isn't so bad after all. By my standards, I am aware that by others it never would have been or even is a bit mean and each to their own.

Mr Cheeky's room inevitably looks like the first picture at the end of the day and it starts out like the second picture. 
When I talk to people starting out having kids I always say do your self a favour and get them to pick up after themselves it is not 'mean' to expect them to Though I have realised I have not taken my good advice... A lot of the mess in Mr Cheeky's room is clothes the toys have been culled and most 'live elsewhere'. So I am going to bite the bullet and EXPECT him to clean his room for now on.

What do you think? What age is the right age for your child? Please leave a comment (there is no captcha) and let me know how you work it. :)

5 comments:

  1. Hey Hun!!
    I've tried to get my three year old to clean her room! And her toys in the lounge I think it's totally the right age to teach them. I was never taught and I suffered a lot when living on my own. However trying to get my three year old to clean her room each morning (having to pick up a grand total of 8 things) is so hard!! We almost both end up in tears and snappy! Lol there is no way my 1.5 almost two year old cod be responsible for their room lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tex ( I hope I can call you that?),
      It is always easier when they are little, I only have myself to blame but lately I have found the care factor lacking in the clean your room department and end up having to spend even more time and energy later down the track! Now that Littlest Miss is 10 months I figure I have not got the 'baby' as an excuse! I found I had to put the hard work into my bigger two and my three girls came along and just did it 'right' because they followed their example. Of course now my bigger two are teenagers and I don't want them following their example any more! (and I must admit Mr Cheeky knows how to work his mum) tisk tisk mum! lol

      Delete
  2. I also think your amazing for having 7!! I don't know how you do it! I'd love 7 but I dont think I could!! Your a super mum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol there is nothing super about me, there are days when all I want to do is get the hell away for an hour and plenty of times when all is chaotic, I just do what I have to do, what I can do and don't sweat the other stuff. You can not be perfect and I don't try! As for 7 kids you get used to it, if I had 7 kids dumped on me over night OMG I couldn't do it lol. Really it is just another cup of water in the soup, another couple of boxes of washing powder and toilet rolls and LOTS and LOTS of coffee! ;)

      Delete
  3. Your friend Tex :)15 November 2012 at 03:58

    You certainly can! :) it's the nickname my sisters came up with for me! :)
    I know all about the lacking in the Care factor department! A lot of the time I just find it much easier to do it myself which takes me ten minutes rather than the two hour poo slinging match to get miss 3 to pick up her stuff. Lol we get along much better! I have found however that miss 1 and a half actually will clean up! Least one is doing it! Lol. How did you find jumping from two to three? We are really wanting another but im worried about the sleep dep department! Lol (mind you I have only just discovered coffee!) did you find that they all just slot in? I was reading your washing pile today and thinking that's me!!! Lol mind you my washing is like piled up on my couch a lot lol! Hate washing!! And folding!! And putting away.. Ironing LOL. ( I have to restrain myself from commenting on EVERY blog lol. But I do read them all and I'm a fan! It's funny to see that whether you have 2 or 7 it's chaos no matter what! Lol your family is beautiful and so so funny! It's like I'm reading what I'm in for in the future!! Lol
    You do great work as their mum!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment, don't be shy! Just be nice... I have feelings you know! ;)