Thursday 28 June 2012

The Dryer

Yesterday after trying hard to avoid going into town, blaming things like the fact that the clutch in the 4wd was stuffed and our driveway was too boggy after all this rain to get the van out, My Beloved went in to buy me a clothes dryer. Actually he went in to get the parts he needed to fix the 4wd drive but around here we are pretending he went in for the dryer.


We have never had one. Usually we don't really need one, after all we have a clothes line and it is usually sunny here. But when it does rain (an awful lot more these past couple of years, since the drought has broken) it rains for a few days sometimes even weeks. Thats when you need one. Even if it was just me, I'd need one but with 7 kids and two adults, OMG!


With our front veranda out of service for 2 years (and I think that is forgetting a year!) the option to hang clothes under the roof was not possible. So I used the curtain rods as a clothes line and would hang everything on hangers  place them on the rod and avoid looking at them till they dried, usually 24 hrs, sometimes more. When they were full I'd set two chairs with their backs facing and place the broom stick across the top to hang more.


 Even the wooden play pen had its uses  as an undies and socks drying rack. All of which,as I am sure you can imagine made the place look oh so 'personally' stylized. Oh yes, in raining weather with 7 kids, a dryer is not a 'luxury' it is a damn necessity! 


When he came home well after dark, OK so maybe it had been dark an hour! I didn't take a lot of notice, I was busy. But When I realised he was reversing the van closer to the house however I shrieked like a small child and started running to greet him, you know like all good wives should ;p


'Ashlee. ASHHHHHHHLEEEEEE' I yelled out


'Oh what mum?' he said as he paused his 'funny movie' 


'Go help your father bring my dryer in.' I said


So making those noises of a disgruntled minion he walked out, opened the door to the van and said 'It is a bar fridge.'


'WHAT!' I said 'It better not be!!.' (I don't know why I believe anything that boy says, as he loves to stir me and I seem to bite like a sea bass every time.)


He then carried the dryer inside for me and put it in the laundry whilst I gave My Beloved a kiss and a cuddle. ( only for a second mind, I had to get cracking on the washing and drying!) 


'

3 comments:

  1. How have you done it without a dryer?? We have two machines, a dryer and lots of hanging space under cover - and still we have a mountain of washing and the predominant feeling is one of getting nowhere. You guys amaze me at every turn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please see comment below- I suck at this replying business. :)

      Delete
  2. Don't be amazed, be amused! Sometimes you have to laugh... or you'd cry! Already we don't know ourselves but now I don't have a legit excuse if the washing piles up... didn't think of that. And If things got too much I'd just spend a fortune at the Laundromat. Oh and I always feel like I am getting nowhere!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment, don't be shy! Just be nice... I have feelings you know! ;)