Saturday 4 May 2013

#4 Blogging Every Day in May- Favourite Quote and Why.

Ok so my enthusiasm for this self imposed blogging every day challenge has diminished somewhat. But I will see it through.  I will. I WILL. Luckily 'there are no rules' so that means my having skipped completely over Day 2 is A Okay!

So today's topic is a favourite quote and why I like it. This quote is my favourite "The secret to happiness is being content with what you have" I don't know who actually said it for it to have been quoted in the first place. If you do, let me know in the comments. Yes, I could Google it. But I don't actually need to know who said it, to me that is not important.


Life has it's ups and it downs. That is true for everybody. No matter who they are and what they have. There are good years and bad years. Be it financially, health wise or relationship wise the trick to make those bad times better or at the least bearable has always been the ability to be content with what you do have. For us it is a roof over our heads, usually our health and each other, our little family unit. Sure, 9 people may not be the usual size that comes to mind when you hear the words 'little family unit' but it is just the same.

When we first started out building our place we didn't get into huge debt and have the house built to completion, we took the Owner Builder route. Something that My Beloved wishes we didn't at times but everything in our house has so many memories attached to it. It is ours as we have done it ourselves, long chats about the hows and whys. Memories of the bigger kids as babies, our friends and families helping out. Everywhere we look there are memories, like the three gum leaf imprints in the third bedrooms cement floor Perfect gum leaf imprints, viens an all that fell from the gum tree My Beloved didn't knock down when he and his father cleared the block. There are  also reminders of stuff still left to do... that can suck sometimes. Like the man hole cover in the cieling of the main bedroom, it is just a bit of board up inside the roof stopping the possums and probably snakes from coming inside during winter.






 If we were not content with what we had, we'd have a hard time living in a 'work in progress'. Lets face it most people move into their house with nothing left to do but unpack (and I get the pros of that, believe me I do). But to me that isn't a home, it is a place you keep your stuff and sleep.

So that is why I like that quote because it is so true, if you can not be contented with what you have you will never be happy. Imagine never being happy, that would suck a lot more than most other things in life.





4 comments:

  1. Such lovely quotes Emma.I love the first image especially.We would love rain here.

    Dropping by from BEDIM.

    We have been living in a half converted farm shed while we renovate a cabin of sorts on our farm.We have owner built a house too and lived in it for months unfinished. Fun times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trish, I immediately checked out your post. I scrolled down and checked out your others as well, I may just join you in switching off for the day on Sunday.

      Dr Suess was an incredible man wasn't he? My favourite quote by Dr Suess HAS to be 'Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,nothing is going to get better. It's not.' In fact just about any of his quotes could be a favourite.

      You'll know just what I mean when I say owner building is great then. I hope you guys have fun making heaps of memories while renovating your cabin. And I hope it rains very soon for you as well! Thanks for dropping by! :)

      Delete
  2. If only all people had enough spunk and spirit to live these quotes, can you just imagine?

    Totally love your header pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Gemma, I love that picture too!! The world would be an awesome place if everyone was happy with what they had, possibly a little bit boring though? Hehehe.
      Oh and can I just congratulate you on your packet undies... seriously, well done!! No more 'fold in half and than half again' for me!! :)

      Delete

Leave me a comment, don't be shy! Just be nice... I have feelings you know! ;)