Monday 16 April 2012

I'm Pinspired!

I have a new addiction. Pinterest. I am a list kinda gal and have many scrapbooks filled with pictures cut, but mostly just ripped, out of magazines and glued into them, the odd word here or there and lots of arrows pointing out what I liked when I first came across the picture. Pinterest, as far as I can tell is basically the same thing but allows you to hoard and collect without the hassle of having to give the piles of scrapbooks a home. These 'scrapbooks' are called Boards and I am trying very hard not to create a million of them. I am sticking to House,Garden,Girls Rooms and Boys Rooms ideas. Four categories and I already have seven boards! As a result of this I have had several very late nights and a million and one new and some revised old ideas for our house.

 I am obsessing about tiles at present for our painted concrete floor and our Kitchen splashback. The tiles for the floor will be sitting in large piles outside by Wednesday and then will stay there for a fortnight as My Beloved is 'otherwise indisposed' for that length of time. Typical! But we gotta eat I guess. The splashback tiles? Well the ones I 'must' have are rather pricey so they will come into my possession a square meter at a time I imagine.I have even found a million ideas for the tiled courtyard I am planning out the back. Staying on task is difficult when inspiration strikes and every minute spent on Pinterest adds to the inspiration.

There are now a million other 'projects' my subconscious is mulling over, Thankyou Pinterest, including the tropical look plants I will use for the garden surrounding our front deck, which is not even halfway as big as I plan. It is however, better than nothing at all which was how it was for the past three years. We didn't even use that side, Yes the front of the house, our entry was at the back through our bedroom. Luckily we live in a rural setting and don't get a lot of 'visitors' (we do get a lot of hanger-oners however).

I raided a friends garden for her Beehive Ginger yesterday and Hydrangea to take cuttings. Most of my jungle like gardens are all from cuttings. The only plants I have bought was a huge collection of Daylillies, one or two of just about every colour and type possible, when we had only just poured the footing for the house and I decided that even though three Angora goats and a small 'herd'  of cows were present on the land the fence would keep them out... It didn't.

The 'Boardwalk' from the deck out towards the current driveway will be raised a little off the ground and surrounded by the tropical garden I will extend from where it is to cover the 'wet spot'. The garden will have lots of palms, canes and other plants that can tolerate moist soil. I will have to dump a lot of mulch, ash from the fire-place and the many bon fires we need to burn with a bit of sand and some dirt to raise the bed a little but it will always be moist.

There is the 'swing/daybed' that consists of a single bed frame, some chain to hang from the trusses and will be bolted to the floor of the front veranda by the chain so my "Darlings" can not swing madly on it... the glass doors,their heads and my nerves wouldn't survive too long if it was not. I have  added a couple of similar ideas to my Garden categorised boards (I have 3!)

Then there is Project 'Make the Veranda Posts Chunkier' a simple matter ( in my mind at least) of nailing and gluing, though using screws would make more sense, four treated pine sleepers around the current 4x4 hardwood posts.

Staining the veranda will happen once the deck is finished and the outside of the house painted an autumn leaf or pumpkin orange colour. I am collecting metal trays to hang as 'wall art' but they will also be used after being pulled down and washed as the B.B.Q serving trays. Function AND beauty. It will be a warm, spicy, tropical relaxed family area and we will probably live out there in the warmer months.

The 'Bridge' from the deck over the pond leading to the new parking area (which was the original spot to park years ago) will be the last thing done out the front . Finally people will park their cars out the front of the house instead of the side or back. On its completion I will be holding a 'Oh my goodness the Front is Done and it Only Took Twelve Years' party.

For the past two years My Beloved and I had lost interest in doing anything around the house and were getting stuck in quite a rut! We started to pull ourselves out late last year and now thanks to the discovery of Pinterest I am running on all cylinders and can't keep up with the 'projects' that are now taking over my waking hours. Hopefully that party I have planned will be happening just before Christmas this year... I can dream can't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment, don't be shy! Just be nice... I have feelings you know! ;)